I’m not sure this was exactly what Mum on a Mission had in mind when she set day 2 of #30daySEND bloggers challenge. I know she has an excellent campaigning blog in mind, but I’m feeling egocentric-so settle down, or switch off as the mood takes you. If you find you already did know them, consider yourself one of the inner circle. Welcome to my world.
1. I judge people on coffee. I’m very polite, you’d never know. Instant coffee is NOT coffee. Similarly decaffienated-what’s that all about then?
2. I love antique and vintage things. Before blogging I had a little Vintage business Pearlie Queen Collectables (that child gets everywhere) selling homewares and decorative glass and ceramics.(Oh and owls.That is a whole other story) My eldest used to help and we sold at fairs and markets always dressed up vintagely.
3. I was a committed Christian. I think I still might be. Since Pearl, I have had a real struggle over faith, meaning and the purpose of life. It all appears to me to be very random, and some of the things said to me about healing, strength and being a special parent really haven’t helped. Still on a bit of a journey of discovery on this one. Suspect most of us are.
4. I worry. All the time
About money. We are in a very fortunate position, but are both employed by my husbands business. What if it fails?
About health. What if I die or become really ill? What if the Mister does? Who will care for a small special Pearl?
About the future, do I have the stamina to care in the long term?
About Pearl’s health, what if the epilepsy gets worse? What if her mobility deteriorates?
5. I can’t bear people making assumptions about me based on my appearance, gender,accent, politics or beliefs. I can become quite aggressive if I see someone doing this to someone else too. I try very hard to rein in my own assumptions when meeting others, and make every effort to notice those I do make. Unless I see someone drinking decaf instant coffee, then all bets are off.
6. I have a tendency towarsds depression. It’s hideous when it’s here, but it is possible to live with it, and I have had plenty of practice. I believe in Citalopram, exercise and occasional hibernation.You absolutely do not have to be afraid of me because of this, I am a master of disguise, with a well chosen outfit, the right amount of slap, and an impressive smile you would be none the wiser.
7. I am a little bit obsessed with clothes. And styling. And design. And handbags. Oh and shoes. It’s getting worse as I get older. If I see a stylish soul out and about I compliment them. Complete strangers. Mainly people are delighted, except my teenage daughter, who if with me, is mortified especially when it’s her friends I’m complimenting.
8. I am tired and emotionally wrung out much of the time.
Tired of fighting the system for provision that is necessity not luxury.
Tired of wrangling a small girl who can’t bear the ordinary routine of dressing, tooth brushing, and washing.
Tired of the smell of nappies in the house.
Tired of handling people’s stares going out.
Tired most of all of being patient, understanding and reasonable. Surely it is my turn to have a meltdown in public?
I am basically tired of being the grown up and would like someone else to take a shift.
9. I love to laugh. Generally,despite everything I find life to be lovely, people to be fabulous and nearly every situation potentially hilarious. Unless the black dog is visiting obviously and then-well more if that on a future blog.
10. I hate waste. Medicines that have not been opened or used have to be thrown away?Really? Splints that have been grown out of into landfill? In ‘Austerity Britain’? This does not sit well with me.
10.5 ( Oh go on, humour me) I think T.K.Maxx should be offered on prescription:
“take 2 hours browsing at least once a month. In emergency cases of extreme fed-upness enter immediately and do not leave without an unnecessary tea towel or mug.”
I leave you with a picture of a Radley Handbag I bought from a charity shop, neatly encapsulating points seven and ten.
You are most welcome.
Why not check out other fabulous SEND bloggers on Firefly Community? Join in, comment and take part!